Today was a very sad one for me...on Saturday, I heard that a missionary had passed away on his mission and my heart went out to that missionary and his family. Then my friend, Craig, texted me this morning while I was in class saying it was two elders who were companions, one being from Highland. He told me it was on the front page of our school's newspaper, so after class I went to the ESC to study, where I knew there would be a newspaper stand. I got a paper, started walking back to my bench where I was sitting and found the article. It was a small section. As I began to read, the words "Romania Bucharest Mission" caught my eye. Before continuing, I thought, "That's McKay's mission! I hope he's alright..." Sure enough, as I read further, I saw his name: McKay Choy Burrows of Highland, UT. I got goosebumps all over and it felt like my heart stopped. No...it can't be...he can't be gone...
Before I knew it, I was already crying. How could he be gone? I remember so clearly meeting him at SOAR in 2007. I played soccer with him, Israel, and the other, taller McKay right outside the Morris center during free-time one day. I remember thinking how cute he was (of course, this was before I met Josh) and he had such a fun, carefree spirit about him. Fast forward about a year and a half. It's my first week at BYU-Provo and I had just gone through a pretty bad break-up with a boyfriend. He invited me and my friends to play flag football on Helaman Fields with him and his friends and even took me on my first date while in Utah (again, this was before Josh). We were supposed to hike to these hot springs but none of his friends or their dates knew where the trail that led to it was. So we pretty much ended up wandering around the woods for a good two hours, but it was still fun! He joked around and made sure I was having fun. When I got cold, he took off his jacket and gave it to me even though the sun was long gone and it was freezing. I ended up hanging onto that jacket for 5 or so months following because I hadn't really seen him around campus after that. I managed to get it back to him before we all left school for the summer, but I feel really lame that I didn't return it to him in person.
The article said that the Burrows' family was not ready to talk to the media and I don't really blame them. If one of my brothers died on his mission, I'd just cry and cry forever...and if it were Josh...I don't even want to think about that possibility...it hurts too bad. But these two missionaries' families really need our prayers more than ever to cope with their loss.
I am so grateful we have the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. Sometimes life can seem so unfair, but as hard as it may be, we need to realize that it is the Lord who is the Master of all our lives. He sees the whole picture and all we see is a tiny part of it. Perhaps the Lord has saved a special place in the eternities for these two missionaries. Maybe he needed the both of them to perform a greater work which we cannot even begin to comprehend. After all, it isn't our mortal life that matters, although it is very important for us to make the best of our probationary time on earth; for we will be judged according to our works in the Millenium. But the more important part of our existence is what comes after this. The Lord is preparing us for all that is to come in the next life; He truly does have so much in store for us. The pain we feel with the loss of a dear one is not easy to forget nor is it easy to let go of, but it shows us that we really did and still do hold a special place in our hearts for this person. It shows how many lives this special person has touched and blessed.
McKay, I'll never forget your smiling face. Every time I look at your name in the paper and in online articles, I am still in disbelief. I can't get your smile out of my head. It was full of innocence and a purity of heart. I'll admit, I did think you were a little cocky when I first met you almost three years ago; you probably knew how cool and attractive you were. But I literally saw the change that took place within you. I could see it in your countenance. You were a different man than the boy I first met the summer before my senior year of high school. We all love and miss you, but we know we'll see you again someday. I know you have Returned With Honor to your Father in Heaven.
Friends, family pay homage to fallen Elders in Romania
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment